Tourism in
Cadiz province
 
Provincia de Cadiz
Province de Cadix
Provinz Cadiz
Add CadizNet to Favorites
ALL TOURISM AND LEISURE ON THE PROVINCE OF CADIZ (SPAIN) - 09/19/2017
 Contact us  Your opinion  Cadiz on the Internet  Much more in the spanish version!
El Gastor
Village guide
 : 
Historical notes
El Gastor
© cadiznet.com   All rights reserved

In its surroundings, there are dolmens which confirm the presence of people already in prehistoric times, located in the area of the Algorrabales, El Charcón and Algarín, while the most important of them is the so-called "Giantís Tomb", a kind of a corridor of approximately nine by almost two meters.

In Roman times it was known as "Irippo".

In some documents on the mountain range, we can read that El Gastor was a fortified town of Zahara already in 1369 in times of king Alfonso XI of Castille. During the XIV and XV centuries, these villages were handed over by the Christians to the Muslims and viceversa successively. In 1484, they were taken by Rodrigo Ponce de León, marquis of Cadiz. In the XVI century, it is created as an agricultural and trading center, with stockbreeding and farming their main activities.

The construction of the first houses and the farming of the first soil starts. The first street to be built is called "The Fountain" due to the existence of a fountain which served as water supply for most of the houses, and which was the meeting point of the women who went there to do the laundry.

In 1834, it gains independence from Zahara and constitutes itself as a village.

  © cadiznet.com 1997-2017 All rights reserved  

Weather in Cadiz (Andalusia, Spain) now: Weather in Cadiz
Send this web page to a friend